Fort Worth Chapter PMI - Volunteers of the Quarter, 3Q2019
Paula Slevin is recognized for her contributions to the Fort Worth Chapter PMI’s Community Outreach events. For the past two years, the Chapter has organized a volunteer team to serve a meal to families staying at Ronald McDonald house while their children are patients at Cook’s Medical Center in Fort Worth. Beginning with the Ronald McDonald House event in 2018, Paula led a project team in identifying a recipe and scaling it to feed a large number of people. Paula organized the event and managed the budget for each dinner so that the team could also donate items from the RMH Wish List, such as paper towels, storage bags, napkins, cleaning supplies, etc.
Paula leveraged this successful model for the Ronald McDonald House outreach event again in 2019. Thanks to her efforts, the FWPMI chapter members are able to network with others in the community and use their skills give back through outreach opportunities at a local and personal level. Chapter Volunteers on the team really enjoyed this opportunity to give back to families who are going through a difficult and challenging time.
Please join the Fort Worth Chapter Leadership team in congratulating Paula on her achievements and recognition as the Fort Worth Chapter PMI Volunteer of the Quarter for 4Q2019!
Paula has been a Fort Worth PMI Chapter Member for almost ten years. When asked what she likes the most about being a PMI Chapter Volunteer, her response was: “I really enjoy volunteering with the FW PMI team at the Ronald McDonald House in FW (RMH FW) . I joke that we are all "energizer bunnies", but it is absolutely true. We all show up early for meal prep and no one stops until the last utensil is dried and put away. It is terrific to work with a team that is so efficient, motivated and glad to serve!”
If you happen to run into Paula, please thank her for being a volunteer for our chapter!
We Appreciate Our Volunteers!
As part of PMI’s 50th Anniversary, the FWPMI chapter was able to do something extra special to show how much we appreciate our volunteers! On October 24th some of the chapter’s valuable volunteers attended a volunteer appreciation event with chapter Board members at the Main Event in Grapevine. These volunteers represented the Community Outreach, Military Outreach, Academic Outreach, RCC, Professional Development, Finance and Internal Relations teams.
Everyone had a great time bowling, playing laser tag, arcade games, eating, and getting to know each other better.
If you want more information about how you can volunteer with the chapter, go to the Volunteer Page on the FWPMI web page. You can also go directly to the VRMS to see available volunteer postings for the chapter: Click Here(enter your PMI credentials, click on “Find an Opportunity” and select the Fort Worth chapter). You can also contact email@example.com you have any questions about Volunteering with the chapter.
FWPMI is a professional organization driven by (volunteer) professionals. Volunteers like you help us grow and serve our profession and the community at large. This is your chance to give back to your profession while gaining valuable experience, knowledge and recognition. Whether you are interested in a little or a lot, we need you!
Why should you volunteer?
- Get more involved. Learn more about PMI and the chapter
- Make new friends and professional networking contacts
- Improve your project management and leadership skills
- Mentor someone and share your knowledge
- Make a difference within our community
- Help to improve or add events and resources for the chapter members
- It's an opportunity to give back to the profession
See where your gifts and talents may be used by contacting the volunteer management team at Volunteer@fwpmi.org for further information.
Volunteer Management Model
The Fort Worth PMI chapter has developed a Volunteer Management Model. This model defines four levels of volunteers. As a volunteer grows, the next steps in the ladder have been defined.
There are benefits associated with each level and increase commensurate with your investment. These include discounts, leadership development and of course - resume enhancers!
Where should you start? Why not select a level one or level two opportunity first? Get to know some of the terrific volunteers and chapter members. Once you have completed your volunteer assignment or project, we'll be happy to work with you on your next opportunity!
Share your knowledge or expertise
- Presenters: We are always looking for high quality presenters for our lunch and dinner membership meeting events. If you have a topic relevant to project management that is educational, please let us know!
- Instructors: Every month we strive to provide educational workshops on a variety of project management related topics such as soft skills, technical skills and tools training. If you are a qualified instructor, we'd love to hear from you
- Next step: Reach out to our Director of Speaker Management.
Interested in working on a team?
- Registration management: help us onsite working the registration table. Choose events throughout the year that you'd be willing to staff the registration table at either lunch or dinner meetings.
- Event management: help us with planning and set up prior to a meeting or closing out the meeting. Possible assignments include creating the agenda, calling in meal guarantees, filing PDUs and administrative closeout.
- Membership team: would you like to help our new members learn about the chapter at an orientation? Staff a membership booth at a meeting? be part of the welcoming committee?
- Volunteer Management: we need more recruiters and help place volunteers in volunteer roles; onboarding specialists and manage the volunteer opportunities or help run the volunteer orientation webinars.
- Communications team: write articles for upcoming newsletters; update / add new website content; manage the communications calendar and prioritize new development for website.
Teams meet as needed to work on tasks. This may be once a month or several times/year. Send an email to the volunteer management team if you'd like to work on a team.