PMI Certifications Overview
There are several project management certifications available through the Project Management Institute (www.PMI.org). Certifications validate your commitment to the field of project management and sets you apart from others within your company or other candidates for a potential future position. If your professional development path is project management oriented, you'll likely be considering one of the following PMI certifications:
Project Management Career Ladder:
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM): This is an entry level certification for those relatively new to project management. Pre-requisites are either formal project management education or project management experience.
- Project Management Professional (PMP): If you've been managing projects for four or more years, you may be ready for the PMP certification. Pre-requisites are a minimum of 4,500 hours of project management experience in a leadership role and 35 hours of formal project management experience.
- Program Management Professional (PgMP): This is the highest certification level in the project management career ladder. The typical candidate has a minimum of four years of project management and four years of program management experience. Unlike the two other certifications, the PgMP is a three step process (panel review, examination, 360 assessment).
Specialty Certifications in Project Management:
- Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP): “If you are a master of scheduling tools or a scheduler for your project or organization, this might be the right certification for you. Pre-requisites for this certification are a minimum of 3,500 hours of scheduling experience and 30 hours of formal project scheduling education.
- Risk Professional (PMI-RMP): Every project has risk. This certification validates your expertise in identifying and assessing risks and developing mitigations to threats as well as leveraging opportunities. Pre-requisties for this certification are a minimum of 3,000 hours of risk experience and 30 hours of formal project risk education.
- Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP): If your organization is adopting agile methodologies, then you may be interested in this certification which recognizes agile principles, tools and techniques. Pre-requisites for this certification are a minimum of 2,000 hours of project experience working on a team and an additional 1,500 hours working on agile teams as well as 21 hours of formal training in agile practices.
New PMP Exam
The new version of the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification exam launched on 2 January 2021. It will focus on the following domains:
PEOPLE – Emphasizing the skills and activities associated with effectively leading a project team.
PROCESS – Reinforcing the technical aspects of managing a project.
BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT – Highlighting the connection between projects and organization strategy.
Content that spans the value delivery spectrum, including predictive, agile and hybrid approaches, will be included across the three exam domains.
The new exam is comprised of:
180 questions (the previous exam was 200) but the same number of questions will be scored 230 minutes to complete the exam.One additional break for a total of two 10-minute breaks for computer-based tests. No scheduled breaks for paper-based exams.Questions will be a combination of multiple-choice, multiple responses, matching, hotspot and limited fill-in-the-blank.
For more information about the updated exam and to see some example questions, go to PMP Exam Updates (pmi.org)
Additionally, the PMP® certification exam can now be completed in your home or office. Learn more about the online proctored exam: Online Proctored Testing | PMI
PMI Standards/Standards Plus Update
New PMI digital solution for instant access to the PMI Standards, guides, how-to content and more – all tailored to industry, approach and goals!
- https://www.pmi.org/standards-projects- PMBOK 7th Edition still in draft
- https://standardsplus.pmi.org/home- launched December 7 for PMI Members
- Questions or feedback about Standards Plus? firstname.lastname@example.org
- PMP Exam is still based on 6th Edition until further notice!